History of the Town Hall

Liverpool’s Georgian Town Hall dates from 1749 and was designed by John Wood of Bath.

Its exterior decorative frieze which can be viewed from the ground depicts emblems of British international trade in Africa including depictions which refer to the trade in slave where Liverpool gained much of its wealth.

The interior vestibule is graced by a Minton tile floor showing the arms of Liverpool, and the walls are decorated with murals created in 1909 showing scenes of the city’s history from King John creating Liverpool as a free port to Liverpool as a centre of commerce, education and progress.

The Staircase Hall has been described as 'one of the great architectural spaces of Liverpool' and features a frieze decorated sculptural dome which bears the figure of Minerva.